RE: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

Griest, Bryan (BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us)
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:22:23 -0800

2 things: 1) Tax revenues are plummeting; you may be paying for something,
but it may not be the cost of the materials. You may be paying for the
building, or the salaries, etc. This is an obvious statement, but I've
worked in a couple of libraries that had $0 for materials in some
years--$0!--even though taxes were still being collected. 2) If we didn't
charge for video rentals (which are admittedly the only materials we could
"get away with" charging for), we wouldn't have had money to buy anything at
all. At least from my experience, the video collections had to become
self-sustaining fiscally or be discontinued completely. Given that choice, I
think even the irritated middle class would vote for a continued collection.
Bryan
Glendale Public Library
-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of LeeAnne
Krause
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 10:12 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

Sarah,

I do not work at a public library, but as a patron of a public library,
I'll say that I'd be really upset if my library started charging for
videos. When I got my last property tax statement, I was suprised by
how much of my taxes went toward our public library. That's not really
a complaint, since it's such an important public service, but the point
is that the use of the library is probably not free for many of your
patrons. Recently, I've been using the library a lot more out of the
idea that, "If I'm paying already for it, I might as well get something
back." And if I'm late returning stuff, even one day, I pay a fine. Of
course this fee is avoidable, but having a two year old, sometimes
returning things promptly is easier said than done. Then we talk about
actually charging to check out a video? I'd consider it very unfair if
I had to pay three times for the use of the same item. My guess is that
your middle class patrons would be irritated for the same reason. And
your less financially comfortable patrons could find it a hardship, even
if it is a "small" fee.

Go Steelers!
LeeAnne

LeeAnne L. Krause, Manager
Educational Films Collection
University of South Carolina
803-777-0322

>>> beasleys@carnegielibrary.org 11/9/2004 11:51:55 AM >>>
Hi All,

I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find
anything in the archives.

We are beginning a discussion about the possibility of charging a small
borrowing fee for feature films. I'm interested in hearing from other
public libraries that charge for videos. How much do you charge? Do
you charge for everything in the collection? If not, what do you charge
for and how do you define what falls into that category? If you have a
written statement/policy that you are willing to share, I'd love to see
a copy.

Thanks!

Sarah Beasley
Manager, Film and Audio Department
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
4400 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412.622.1918
beasleys@carnegielibrary.org

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message are solely
those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or
approved by the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.