[Videolib] Documentary films on disabilities from Filmakers Library

Andrea Traubner (andy@filmakers.com)
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:18:42 -0500

Dear Marc,
We have three new superb documentaries on the subject of deafness in both
children and adults:

SOUND AND FURY
This Academy Award-nominated film is the story of two brothers who anguish
over whether to allow their deaf children to have cochlear implants. One
brother welcomes the chance for his child to be part of the hearing world.
The other brother, who is deaf, does not want his offspring to leave the
deaf culture and its sense of community. For a full description, go to
http://filmakers.com/indivs/SoundFury.htm.

LEARNING TO HEAR
This touching film explores the challenges and triumphs of two women. aged
36 and 44, who regained their hearing after undergoing a cochlear implant.
The film follows the women through surgery, and shows their joy at
rediscovering the hearing world. 57 min. For a full description, please go
to http://filmakers.com/indivs/LearningtoHear.htm.

TWINS: CHILDREN WITH COCHLEAR IMPLANTS

This film, by the director of Sound and Fury, follows two sets of
one-year-old twins for three years. Each set has one profoundly deaf twin
who has been given a cochlear implant, and a hearing twin with whom their
language development is compared. One can see the astonishing growth in the
deaf children's speech and hearing as well as their integration and
assimilation into mainstream life. 30 min. For a full description, go to
http://filmakers.com/indivs/twins.htm

Please visit our website for additional films on disabilities:
www.filmakers.com.

Thank you.

Sue Oscar, Filmakers Library

124 E. 40 St., New York, N.Y. 10016