Re: [Videolib] Documentary films on disabilities

Pat Shufeldt (pashuf@charter.net)
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:48:46 -0500

A truly outstanding documentary shown on PBS sometime within the last year is
worth pursuing. Does anyone remember its name? I didn't write down the title
at the time it was shown.

The film featured twin girls in Alaska, whose involvement in "normal" activities
has been greatly expanded by custom-designed and built wheelchairs--designed,
built, and maintained by their father. The wheelchairs allow them to travel
across rough outdoors terrain and adjust in height so that they are functioning
at the same eye-level as other people with whom they are interacting. The girls
attend regular schools, play basketball and participate in other school
activities with less impediments than most wheel-chair-bound students, and are
able to maneuver safely through crowded store displays. One of the girls is
training a horse and caring for it and aspires to being a horse trainer when she
grows up.

Other titles to consider:

"Ir a la Escuela" (Going to School)
http://www.richardcohenfilms.com/GoingtoSchool.htm
This title is currently being distributed to selected public libraries as part
of the NVR-MacArthur Foundation Human Rights Video Project

"Freedom Machines" - broadcast on PBS in Sept. 2004
http://www.pbs.org/pov/freedommachines

Pat Shufeldt
Greenville, SC
pashuf@charter.net