Re: [Videolib] "Video librarians" on the organizational chart

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:11:27 -0800

Here at San Francisco State the media services center (Audio Visual/ITV
Center) is not part of the library. We are in the same building, but
don't report to the Library Director.

I don't supervise other staff.

Equipment circulation, instruction and production are all handled by
other people; we have 21 full and part-time staff (not counting student
employees) - it's not that hard to keep up on what's happening. I also
do payroll and some low-level computer programming, and worked for 19
years in our (equipment and media) circulation office. So though
purchasing media may not be viewed as 'technical' I'm still a geek.

You may want to remind your director of how important your work is to
the faculty - when you've come up with media somebody has to have for
class, your whole Media Services Center looks better to them. Notes
from satisfied customers could be good to have.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200