RE: [Videolib] "Video librarians" on the organizational chart

Speirs, Sr Gilmary (speirs@es.marywood.edu)
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:14:50 -0500

I recognize your name from vidlib. I am one of 8 librarians who report to
the Library Director (also a librarian). I supervize an assistant and we do
the media acquisitions. Look at the library on the Marywood web site. I
hope your situation improves.

Sr. Gilmary Speirs, IHM
Collection Management Librarian for non-Print
Marywood University Library
2300 Adams Ave.
Scranton, PA 18509
E-mail speirs@marywood.edu
Phone: (570)348-6266
FAX: (570)961-4769

-----Original Message-----
From: Maureen Tripp [mailto:Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 10:51 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] "Video librarians" on the organizational chart

My Library Director is "restructuring" my job (I think this is code for
trying to make me so miserable I leave, so they can replace me with someone
younger and cheaper, but that's another story). She hasn't asked my input,
but I want to be ready with my comments when the plan is finally revealed.
Currently I report to the Head of Media Services, and work in the Media
Services Center. Much has been made of the fact that I am the only
"nontechnical" staff member in a department of 5. I

My questions: who do other academic video librarians report to?
Are you located in a Media Services Center, or in the
Library?
do you supervise other staff?
if you work in a Media Services Center, how much do you
participate in equipment circulation, instruction, or production?

Thanks for any information. I feel under siege!