RE: [Videolib] Interfiling

Griest, Bryan (BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us)
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:05:42 -0800

I haven't given up the idea of interfiling here at Glendale PL yet; I'm
creating a survey to issue to our patrons to find out in the abstract what
they think of the idea. I'll let you all know how it turns out, if anyone's
interested . . .
Bryan Griest

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Cartford,
Peter, JCL
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 4:46 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Interfiling

The idea is to get all (or most--Hi Deg) materials on a subject together
regardless of format so patrons only have to look in one place.
Shelving separately allows patrons to browse materials by format. So it
really depends on which kind of access to the materials you want to
emphasize.

The question is, why only VHS? Why make patrons go off to a different
shelf to look for a DVD on subject XYZ? Or an audiobook or CD-ROM? If
the idea is to group the collection by call number or subject rather
than by format,
why not shelve everything--children's, ref, periodicals, gov docs, AV,
etc.-- together? (impractical sez Deg, and I agree) Absolutism aside,
it makes no sense to me to interfile only one AV format if the idea is
to provide greater patron convenience. I'd at least put all the AV
nonfiction in with the books.

Either approach is valid in the abstract, but you might want to check
first with the people it'll affect the most--your patrons.

(My personal pref: shelve separately.)

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library