[Videolib] [NMRT-L:4341] Career Mentoring

Meghann R Matwichuk (mtwchk@UDel.Edu)
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:34:17 -0500 (EST)

Hello All,

I am passing this along as NMRT/VRT liaison. A follow-up email to this
was sent which stated the need for librarian mentors with 5+ years
experience.

Thanks for your time,

******************************
Meghann R. Matwichuk
Instructional Media Department
Morris Library
University of Delaware
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302) 831-1475

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 08:01:28 -0700
From: cassandra osterloh <osterloh@unm.edu>
To: NMRT <nmrt-l@ala.org>
Subject: [NMRT-L:4341] Career Mentoring - Need a Mentor?

Have you been a librarian for 5 years or less? Do you sometimes feel you
have professional questions to ask and no one to direct them to? Do you
find yourself wondering, in the midst of hardcore budget season, or in that
massive collection development strategy meeting...

What the heck are they talking about??

Here is your chance to tap into a great new resource from NMRT, to meet a
new librarian ally, and to have someone to ask about all those questions
you can't really ask!

The NMRT Mentoring Committee is piloting a new program this year that
focuses on more long term mentoring. We will pair up 10 "newbie librarians"
with 10 "seasoned vets" as part of a 6-month mentoring program. If you are
interested in finding a mentor and in charting new territory with our pilot
program, please read all the details and fine print below.

This pilot version of the career mentoring program will last from ALA
Midwinter 2005 in January to ALA Annual 2005 in June. Conference attendance
is not required. Applications are due November 19th, 2004, with the goal of
notifying the matching pairs by the first week in January 2005. This will
allow for any pairs that have the opportunity to meet at Midwinter to do so.

Each pair will have a member of the NMRT Mentoring Committee assigned to
them. This committee member will notify the mentor and mentee of their
pairing, and send them monthly discussion topics via email. Mentors and
mentees are of course free to discuss whatever they want, whenever and
however they would like. These topics are merely guidelines. The committee
member will also serve as a troubleshooter if any problems come up.

It is important to remember that this is a pilot project--we will try to
make everything go as smoothly as possible, but the unforeseen will likely
arise. Please feel free to give us any and all questions, comments,
criticisms and accolades that may occur to you.

Participant Guidelines:

Mentors:

We encourage mentors from all types of libraries, in all positions, to
apply for the career mentoring program. We ask that mentors be an ALA
member, be employed in a professional position for at least five years, and
be willing to correspond either via email or phone with their mentee at
least twice a month. Mentors will be expected to initiate contact with the
mentee at the start of the program with an introductory email. If there are
ever any administrative questions, mentors will have access to an NMRT
Mentoring Committee member to help troubleshoot. At the end of the program,
mentors will be asked to give feedback to the Committee to help determine
if and how the program should continue. Mentors will receive a letter
recognizing their service in this program for their files upon request.

Mentees:

We welcome mentees from all types of libraries, in all positions, to apply
for the career mentoring program. We ask that mentees be a member of ALA,
be employed in a professional position for 0-5 years, and be willing to
correspond via email or phone with their mentor at least twice a month.
Mentors will be expected to introduce themselves to you initially via email
at the start of the program, at which point mentees will respond with an
introduction of their own. If there are ever any administrative questions,
mentees will have access to an NMRT Mentoring Committee member to help
troubleshoot. At the end of the program, mentees will be asked to give
feedback to the Committee to help determine if and how the program should
continue. Mentors will receive a letter recognizing their service in this
program for their files upon request.

Apply today to be part of this exciting new project! The form can be found
online at http://www.ala.org/ala/nmrt/comm/careerMentoringApplication.htm
If you have any questions, please contact us at NMRTMentoring@yahoo.com.