[Videolib] Downloading video from the Web

Mark Richie (n2books@frontiernet.net)
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:20:09 -0500

All:
Contrary to popular belief, streaming video DOES remain in RAM for a
significant period of time - long enough to capture it and save it to
file - EVEN IF the right click save as menu option is disabled. To do
this, both IE and Netscape, let the file start playing then hit the stop
button on the player before the video stops. Watch the slider bar along
the bottom of the picture and stop it about ten percent from the end.
Leave the player window open.

Then go to find, search by date for the latest files modified in the
Internet cache. Or go direct to the Internet temp files (IE) or the
cache file (NSx.x). Find the temp cache file of the video, rename it and
save it to someplace else - like the desk top . . . Do it right and you
get the whole video. At worst you miss the last couple of seconds. I
demonstrated this little technique to a couple of video content
providers at NMM about four years ago when they INSISTED that streaming
video protected their copyrights because the video was "never resident"
in the customers computer. So misunderstanding in so few words.

Launch your favorite viewer and play the captured video again and again
anytime! Just don't expect the image to enlarge to full screen. Yes,
true postage stamp video looks like crap but it is authentic to the web
source providers.

Mark Richie