[Videolib] Downloading video from the Web

Jonathan Degan (jdegan@uottawa.ca)
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:24:40 -0400

2 problems:

(Referring to the johnkerry.com website under multimedia>Videos)

First, even though they offer WMP, Real and Quicktime, they're all
streaming files. They're usually done like those so users cannot save to disk.

Secondly, the resolution is quite low it will look very bad and distorted
if put on DVD/VHS.

You could either try and find the files somewhere else on the internet or
try and luck out and record them off the TV.

Jonathan

At 11:37 AM 10/21/2004, you wrote:
>Does anyone have any tips on downloading video clips from the Web?
>
>We have a student who needs to capture clips from John Kerry's Web site at
>http://www.johnkerry.com . She needs to use a couple of his commercials
>in her thesis (which is being done in video format). She wrote to them
>and received permission to use the commercials--in fact, they said that
>she and anyone else was free to download and use anything that was there.
>
>However, we are having no luck in saving it to disk for her to use. We
>are at the point now where we are going to have to try a digital camera to
>film it while it plays on the site, but it just seems that there should be
>a better way.
>
>Any advice would be very much appreciated!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ann M. Tenglund
>Coordinator of Library Computer Services and Library Instruction
>Friedsam Memorial Library
>St. Bonaventure University
>St. Bonaventure, NY 14778
>ateng@sbu.edu

Jonathan Degan -- jdegan@uottawa.ca
Médiathèque -- Media Resources
Bibliothèque Morisset Library - Université d'Ottawa -- University of Ottawa
Tel.: 613-562-5800 (3579); Fax: 613-562-5133