[Videolib] Interfiling Videos and DVDs with book collection

Carol Dunn (dunn@findlaylibrary.org)
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:14:01 -0400

I don't know, I think the idea is interesting! The whole point of
the Dewey Decimal System is to keep these subjects together. If I
was queen of the world, I would have ALL Dewey items shelved together,
and that would include a large, bottom shelf for the Children's nonfiction!
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: LeeAnne Krause [mailto:LLKRAUSE@gwm.sc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 8:48 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Interfiling Videos and DVDs with book collection

Excellent point, Eileen! When I go to our county library with my two
year old son (Everett!) we browse through the videos for interesting
documentaries I think he'd like. It would be a bummer if they started
interfiling, but then again, it's a very large public library. It's not
the sort of place one just stumbles across things.

But then again, something that all of us who are over the age of 30
need to keep in mind is that the younger generations of library patrons
are growing up very computer savvy. They've never used a card catalog
before. I have a few old timers here who still complain that we
stopped printing paper catalogs of our collection (20 years ago, mind
you). Meanwhile our students can find everything they want on the
computer but require much more help finding stuff on the shelf. Maybe
it would be better for the students to have everything in one place.
Assuming that you circulate to students, which we don't :)

Food for thought,
LeeAnne

LeeAnne L. Krause, Manager
Educational Films Collection
University of South Carolina
803-777-0322

>>> ESimmons@ci.everett.wa.us 10/18/2004 6:47:53 PM >>>
Those he talked to said they used our videos as an alternative to cable
TV programs
such as the History or
Discovery channels, and when they came in they were looking for
quality
programs-but not a specific subject much less a specific title. So
they
wanted to be able to browse.