[Videolib] Interfiling media etc

Nanette Sweetser (NSWEETSE@usc.edu.au)
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:45:55 +1000

RE: "Brian's comment (and I'm not looking to pick a fight here) asks
"what if you
want to find all the information on hippos" and concludes that
interfiling
solves the logistics.
Well, it * might * IF you ALSO interfiled all the journals articles,
all
the children's books, all the encyclopedias, all CD-Roms,..." (see
e-mail below)

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:25:22 -0700
From: deg farrelly <deg.farrelly@asu.edu>
To: "videolib@library.berkeley.edu" <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Interfiling Videos and DVDs with book
collection
Message: 1

Brian Griest wrote:

> On the third point, I made the observation in my first post
> that I don't get the impression that the majority of people are that
> interested in finding just videos on a particular topic, but are
rather
> primarily looking for information on a topic regardless of the
medium. I
> could easily respond to #3 by hypothesizing another (and just as
> theoretically valid) question: what if you want all the information
on
> hippos that the library has? Interfiling solves that crisis of
logistics
> where "segregation" does not. I think it all depends on the kinds of
users
> each library has as to which system would be most beneficial, if the
> security and personnel issues noted here are not relevant to one's
location.

The topic of interfiling video with print comes up now and again, and
valid
points are made on both sides of the issues.

But what always amazes me is that in general the proponents of
interfiling
media never seem to notice that libraries don't interfile their * print
*
collections.

Brian's comment (and I'm not looking to pick a fight here) asks "what
if you
want to find all the information on hippos" and concludes that
interfiling
solves the logistics.

Well, it * might * IF you ALSO interfiled all the journals articles,
all
the children's books, all the encyclopedias, all CD-Roms, all the
databases,
all the Oversize folios, all the vertical file materials, and all the
myriad
other resources in the library.

Buy libraries don't do that. And why is that? Because in many
instances,
filing materials together by format or information structure makes
sense for
space, for staff maintenance, for access to the necessary equipment to
view/use the content, for user access.

It seems to me that the key to what is in the collection is not the
placement of similar content in close proximity, but rather the *
catalog *.
And then secondly, a staff that users can approach and obtain
assistance in
locating materials they are seeking. The serendipitous discovery of
content
by browsing is great... But should we be promoting it as the means of
locating information?

Using hippos again as the focus... Perhaps all the user wants is a
good
color picture of a hippo... National Geographic might have that... But
the
user may not know to check Reader's Guide, or some other article index
for
that.

Then again... Maybe all the user needs is to do a Google image search.

My $.02

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University West Library
RE: "Brian's comment (and I'm not looking to pick a fight here) asks
"what if you
want to find all the information on hippos" and concludes that
interfiling
solves the logistics.
Well, it * might *  IF you ALSO interfiled all the journals articles,
all
the children's books, all the encyclopedias, all CD-Roms,..."

Hi there Videolibbers My comments pertain to a small academic library (4000 users). We recently changed the collections araound, and now are interfiling what was the Reference collection in with the Serials, and have always interfiled other media (videos, cd-roms, dvds etc) with books, all classified accordng to LC classification schedules. There is no folio separation - predominantly, the large items are interfiled with the rest. The position of the serials and reference collections has also been changed to a more prominent one right at the beginning of the circulating collection, and is all now called "Non-Circulating" as they dont circ (yet - plans afoot).

Skeletons and other models stand alone in a designated area next to the non-circ shelves, and are freely available to users. Players for all media are located in designated reading areas near the collections and in the Reserve Room on the info commons level. Databases etc and other e-media are sourced through the opacs near the collections and from the information commons...

The new "information commons" area on the lowest floor of the library (the walk-in area from the campus) comprises around 200-300 pcs etc, with the information services and loans desks located in and next to it. The library collections start on the next floor up.

The clients (students, staff, public) seem very happy with all the changes, and the reference and serials collection actually get more use now than before.

Cheers Nan