[Videolib] Interfiling Videos and DVDs with book collection

Eileen Simmons (ESimmons@ci.everett.wa.us)
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:47:53 -0700

It was a very informal survey-our PR person spent some time in the video
area (this was pre-DVD for us). He just asked people who were selecting
videos how they would like interfiling. Those he talked to said they used
our videos as an alternative to cable TV programs such as the History or
Discovery channels, and when they came in they were looking for quality
programs-but not a specific subject much less a specific title. So they
wanted to be able to browse.

Our library is large enough that if we interfiled nonfiction videos the
print collection would overwhelm non-print. We thought just interfiling
how-to-do-it titles would be too confusing for staff and patrons. Our
documentaries are pretty well-used, so we decided not to mess with a system
that seemed to work for those who use it-especially since we didn't have a
compelling need/reason to do so.

Eileen Simmons
Assistant Director/Head of Reference
Everett Public Library