[Videolib] Interfiling Videos and DVDs with book collection

deg farrelly (deg.farrelly@asu.edu)
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:25:22 -0700

Brian Griest wrote:

> On the third point, I made the observation in my first post
> that I don't get the impression that the majority of people are that
> interested in finding just videos on a particular topic, but are rather
> primarily looking for information on a topic regardless of the medium. I
> could easily respond to #3 by hypothesizing another (and just as
> theoretically valid) question: what if you want all the information on
> hippos that the library has? Interfiling solves that crisis of logistics
> where "segregation" does not. I think it all depends on the kinds of users
> each library has as to which system would be most beneficial, if the
> security and personnel issues noted here are not relevant to one's location.

The topic of interfiling video with print comes up now and again, and valid
points are made on both sides of the issues.

But what always amazes me is that in general the proponents of interfiling
media never seem to notice that libraries don't interfile their * print *
collections.

Brian's comment (and I'm not looking to pick a fight here) asks "what if you
want to find all the information on hippos" and concludes that interfiling
solves the logistics.

Well, it * might * IF you ALSO interfiled all the journals articles, all
the children's books, all the encyclopedias, all CD-Roms, all the databases,
all the Oversize folios, all the vertical file materials, and all the myriad
other resources in the library.

Buy libraries don't do that. And why is that? Because in many instances,
filing materials together by format or information structure makes sense for
space, for staff maintenance, for access to the necessary equipment to
view/use the content, for user access.

It seems to me that the key to what is in the collection is not the
placement of similar content in close proximity, but rather the * catalog *.
And then secondly, a staff that users can approach and obtain assistance in
locating materials they are seeking. The serendipitous discovery of content
by browsing is great... But should we be promoting it as the means of
locating information?

Using hippos again as the focus... Perhaps all the user wants is a good
color picture of a hippo... National Geographic might have that... But the
user may not know to check Reader's Guide, or some other article index for
that.

Then again... Maybe all the user needs is to do a Google image search.

My $.02

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University West Library