[Videolib] Interfiling Videos and DVDs with book

LeeAnne Krause (LLKRAUSE@gwm.sc.edu)
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:32:40 -0400

The decision to interfile might also depend heavily on whether the
library is a public library or a university library. The vast majority
of my patrons want videos for instructional purposes, not for personal
research. Therefore #3 below is quite enough reason for us not to
interfile. But obviously each library needs to decide for themself,
based on the constraints of their own collection, resources, facilities
and customer needs.
LLK

LeeAnne L. Krause, Manager
Educational Films Collection
University of South Carolina
803-777-0322

>>> BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us 10/18/2004 2:21:12 PM >>>
On points 1 & 2, I would say that is completely dependent on the
library's
layout and personnel options; in our case, the former A/V room was not
guarded by anyone and was located in a corner of the building unused
by
anything but the videos. The security system we use (Kwik-Lok cases)
will
work just as well in the stacks as they did in that room. Secondly, we
didn't/won't have a specialized service point anyway, so that point is
moot.
In fact, by interfiling we would be moving the videos closer to our
reference desk. On the third point, I made the observation in my first
post
that I don't get the impression that the majority of people are that
interested in finding just videos on a particular topic, but are
rather
primarily looking for information on a topic regardless of the medium.
could easily respond to #3 by hypothesizing another (and just as
theoretically valid) question: what if you want all the information on
hippos that the library has? Interfiling solves that crisis of
logistics
where "segregation" does not. I think it all depends on the kinds of
users
each library has as to which system would be most beneficial, if the
security and personnel issues noted here are not relevant to one's
location.
Bryan Griest
Glendale Public Library

I see three problems with interfiling videos with books, apart from
those mentioned below:

1. Theft. If you're not already putting your stuff in magnetic
security cases, you'll have to start doing that, and that would be a
big, ongoing financial cost. Putting DVDs especially in the stacks
without the security cases is madness. It's not enough to put
magnetic
tags on the regular cases, because people could take the discs out and
slip them in their bag.

2. Loss of specialized service/reference. If you interfile the films
with the books, then you wouldn't need a film service point, would you?

And we all know that film is very different from books. Without a
film
service point with specialized film staff, whom would the patrons ask
find out if you have an unbiased documentary on abortion (or do I
really
have to watch them all)? Or, do you have that film where Ingrid
Bergman
was a spy infiltrating a ring of Nazis? Who's gonna rewind the tapes
and buff the DVDs? And if you do plan to keep film staff, then the
staff now has to have to walk all over the building to check on stuff
that's supposed to be checked in, but someone couldn't find it on the
shelf (and the jewel case probably just got shoved behind the books).

3. Finally, it's just annoying for the patron to have to sift through
the books to find the video. When you want a book, you want a book.
When you want a film, you want a film. Actually, I think it increases
the stops to interfile. What if you want all the films we have by
Marlon Riggs? You have to go to one floor for "Black Is Black Ain't"
and another floor for "Tongues Untied." Just go to the film
collection
and it's one stop.

Of course it may work well for some libraries to interfile, but there
are more downsides than just not being able to read the title on the
spine and having to recatalog the films. I think they should all be
considered before making such a big service change. It seems to me
that
the bigger the library, the less wise it is to interfile.

LLK

LeeAnne L. Krause, Manager
Educational Films Collection
University of South Carolina
803-777-0322

>>> BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us 10/16/2004 12:20:24 PM >>>
I am eagerly awaiting news on this front from our newly installed
Director
as well. I proposed interfiling so as to collocate all items on the
same
subject (obviously enough); Cerritos (CA) PL does it, and I did it at
Hawthorne (CA) PL, but I moved on before I could garner any feedback
from
the patrons. Aside from causing our catalogers extra work (since none
of our
videos had been "Deweyed" previously) here at Glendale (CA), the only
real
objections I've foreseen--or have had raised to me--so far have been
the
possibility that some patrons enjoy browsing through even the non-fic
titles, and that some videos, and especially DVDs, are not easily
identified
spine-on. I think the potential gains in awareness for the existence
of
quality video presentations on a subject outweigh those possible
drawbacks,
but I admit to being rather biased in favor of interfiling. I believe
the
pages also benefit from having fewer "stops along their route", and
this
would force some recalcitrant librarians to do more weeding!
Bryan Griest