[Videolib] labeling of PAL format media

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:04:30 -0700

Simply put, blank VHS tape is blank VHS tape, but not all VHS players=20
are the same. Television systems were developed in different countries=20=

by different people at different times to different standards.

The United States, Japan, and other countries in the Americas use NTSC=20=

- National Television Systems Committee - format, which uses about 525=20=

lines of itty bitty dots to make a color picture.

Britain and many Commonwealth countries use PAL format, which produces=20=

pictures with 625 lines of dots.

France, Russia and lots of other folks use SECAM, which also uses 625=20
lines of dots, but does it differently from PAL.

Some of this has to do with AC current cycles - we use 60 cycles per=20
second, most other people use 50, so unless somebody wants to rewire=20
the entire world, there probably will never be a 'universal' VHS format.

There are LOTS of oddities and exceptions to this - for instance, a=20
good NTSC format vhs tape really has around 350 lines of dots; the=20
other parts of the signal are used for other information like captions.=20=

And tapes recorded in South American won't necessarily run here, though=20=

US tapes usually do run there.

One place to get a listing of which country uses which standard is at

http://www.bloomington.in.us/~ttop/standard.html

Hope this helps.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Friday, October 8, 2004, at 06:42 AM, Stockwell, Patricia wrote:

> I asked our cataloging librarian if she has ever heard of PAL=20
> formatted media.=A0 Could you explain to us newbie's what that is.=A0 =
I=20