[Videolib] dvds with rfid tags

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:32:56 +0200

Dear Libeth,

as far as I know there are different sorts of RFID tags for optical
digital discs, for example those from 3M and a new sort of label from
Bibliotheca
http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/articleview/1075/1/1/

Bibliotheca claims that their tags are 100% correctly readable. In
general there seems to be a problem with the metal layer all optical
discs have (aluminium, silver or gold) that insulates the tags from
their reception devices. But it should be considered that the inner ring
of optical discs is metal free which is used by the 3M tags.

The drawback of the Bibliotheca tags probably might be the covering of
the whole disc with a plastic layer what those of 3M do not as far as I
know. DVD discs might be bent by this additional plastic layer making
them unreadable. There is no problem with CD. Tolerance in bending is
0,8 degree with DVD and 1,2 degree with CD. If the additional label
bends the disc up to 1 degree what especially paper labels often do the
laser beam fails in reading the DVD.

We don't yet use RFID in our library but will have to do so in the
future. We do not have any experience in checking out our media with
RFID but we have to be prepared. An important issue for our library is
to preserve the discs and it is recommended not to paste any labels on
the discs.

In the German speaking countries there are some libraries checking out
big collections of CD and DVD via RFID without any problems as they have
reported: the main libraries in Vienna and Luzern with 3M, the main
library in Stuttgart will use the Bibliotheca tags. In the past there
were several postings on Videolib reporting about problems with the 3M
tags.

We are also interested in any feedback concerning these problems.

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
http://www.zlb.de/index.html