[Videolib] Re: The Edge Disc Cleaner

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:03:58 -0400

MessageHi David, I actually have information on the Edge machine but
decided NOT to include it in my article because it is fairly similar to the
JFJ dual unit, which is a much better machine. The Edge unit had some
difficulties because the disc position is often angled on the rod so
sanding/polishing is uneven. the JFJ units had this problem until a new
spring-loaded arm was developed. Personally, I'd stay away from the double
arm units (both the Edge and the JFJ unit) and just purchase a single arm
unit, performing some assembly-line manuvers (like sanding a number of discs
using #1, then doing all of them with #2, then polishing with #1 and #1) -
same time used but the operator is able to concentrate on single disc and
give it more time if needed rather than distrations from too much
multi-tasking. The Edge unit isn't going to be available from Video Store
Services soon - being replaced by a fully automated buffer, VMI Disc Repair
System #8347 (looks like a CPU) - $1999.99 - product details
www.specialtystoreservice.com. I've been trying to get a unit to evaluate -
don't really want to buy one as we have a single arm JFJ unit and a
Disc-Go-Pod (using CD Repairman buffing solution on DGP, just because it is
easier to obtain in the states). Hope this information helps. Jim Scholtz.
-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of David Johnstone
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 1:33 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Re: The Edge Disc Cleaner

Does anyone have information on, or experience with, "The Edge" disc
cleaning machine? It's not included in Jim Scholtz's useful review, and
I've been unable to find any testimonials or reviews of this product.
(available from Demco, Specialty Video, etc)
Many thanks
David Johnstone
AV Coordinator - North Vancouver District Library

David Johnstone - Audiovisual Coordinator
North Vancouver District Public Library
1280 East 27th Street
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada V7J 1S1
Phone: (604) 990-5817