[Videolib] Life Span of VCR "head-cleaning" tapes?

Trent Nicholas (Tnicholas@vmfa.state.va.us)
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:25:06 -0400

Can't say for sure if you should still use those, but I have a great =
Scotch head cleaner tape that I have had since the late 80s. And still =
use it but ONLY when the heads are dirty and that is maybe once a year =
at most. I do not just routinely clean the heads as maintenance. There =
is too much controversy of abrasion.
Hoo boy, this talk of cleaning VCR heads is starting to sound so =
last century. It was such a major issue when we were trying to protect =
an $800 investment. I think next time the heads are dirty I will just =
toss the machine and buy a new one for $35.=20
=20
T. Nicholas
VMFA
=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Fersenheim, Tania [mailto:FersenheimT@neco.edu]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 2:55 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Life Span of VCR "head-cleaning" tapes?

When taking an inventory of a very over-crowded and very old collection =
of Tech Services supplies I came across 2 VCR head-cleaning tapes.

One appears to have been manufactured sometime in the past 10 years.=20
The other looks like something from the early days of VHS VCRs. It is =
in a heavy-duty plastic case that is very "80s" looking.

Both are very dusty from being in the back of a cabinet for many years.=20

Anyone know if I should keep these or just toss them?=20

My instinct is to toss them, but I won't if they are still viable head =
cleaners.=20

Advice?=20

Also, how often should one use head-cleaning tapes?=20

Tania Hewes Fersenheim=20

Technical Services & Systems Librarian
New England College of Optometry
424 Beacon Street