[Videolib] INSIGHT MEDIA VIDEOS ON GEOGRAPHY

Laroi Lawton (laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu)
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:10:52 -0400

Chris:
At Bronx Community College we used purchase from Insight Media but
found that many of their titles are from other distributors. As a
result, as Deg aptly points out, we would then compare prices with the
orginal vendor/distributor only to find out that the pricing was indeed
a lot cheaper.

LaRoi Lawton
Assistant Professor/Director
GSL Learning Resources Center
Library & Learning Resources Department
Bronx Community College/CUNY
Bronx, New York 10453
718-289-5348
718-289-6471(fax)
laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: deg farrelly [mailto:deg.farrelly@asu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 11:24 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] INSIGHT MEDIA VIDEOS ON GEOGRAPHY

In a way this is like asking if the books Amazon sells are good.

My understanding is that Insight is not a producer, but a distributor of
selected titles. Or more acturately, a re-distributor, since many of
the titles Insight carries are also distributed by other companies.

It's hard to tell much more since Insight's mailings describe the videos
they distribute, but don't provide the name of the producer, date, and
other pertinent information.

While we have purchased from Insight in the past, generally we try to
find the content from the original producer, often at a lower price.

I'd be interested in hearing others' perceptions of the Insight product
line.

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University West Library