[Videolib] looking for WWII feature film - about a fleet

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:14:52 -0700

--=====================_29109203==.ALT
Howz bout the following...note last paragraph in bold

gary

Title: Task Force (1949)1bc2829.jpg
Alternative Title(s): The Horizon in Flames
Production Company: Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc. A Warner Bros.--First=20
National Picture
Distribution Company: Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.
Released: 24 Sep 1949
Produced: late Oct--31 Dec 1948
Copyright Information: =A9 Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.; 26 Sep 1949; LP2557
Length: 115-116 min.
Physical Properties: 1bc2877.jpgBlack & 1bc28b6.jpgWhite with=20
1bc28f4.jpgColor Sequences: 1bc2933.jpgBlack &=20
1bc2962.jpgWhite/1bc29b0.jpgColor by Technicolor; Sound: RCA Sound System

Plot Summary: As Jonathan L. Scott faces retirement from the Navy, he=20
recalls twenty-seven years earlier when he was a Navy pilot stationed in=20
San Diego: The first aircraft carrier in 1921 is a converted collier, the=20
Langley. Because the Navy does not have the money to purchase airplanes=20
especially designed to land on carriers, several pilots die as they attempt=
=20
to land on the sixty-five foot deck. One day, Scott must tell Mary Morgan=20
that her husband Jerry has been killed. In 1923, Scott is transferred to=20
Washington, D.C. to help develop a carrier plane and to convince the=20
admirals to support naval aviation. At a party he encounters Mary, who is=20
there with another officer. Scott becomes involved in an argument with=20
powerful isolationist newspaper publisher Bentley and thus greatly angers=20
Admiral Ames. Scott is then assigned to a desk job at the Panama Canal.=20
Before he leaves, Scott proposes to Mary, who refuses to marry another=20
flyer, but advises him to continue his fight for the carrier planes. When a=
=20
newly designed carrier, the Saratoga, is launched, Scott is transferred to=
=20
it. Learning to fly with a new system, Scott loses control of his plane and=
=20
crashes. While he is recovering, Mary visits the hospital and accepts=20
Scott's second proposal. The couple spends two years in Hawaii and then=20
moves to Annapolis, where Scott, now a Lieutenant Commander, is to teach=20
naval aviation. His outspoken stand in favor of aircraft carriers in combat=
=20
causes him to lose a promotion, and after Japan invades Manchuria, Scott=20
decides to accept a civilian job selling planes in Europe. Mary, however,=20
encourages him to remain in the Navy, and they return to Hawaii, where=20
Scott is made a commander. When Pearl Harbor is attacked by the Japanese,=20
Scott's ship, the Enterprise, sets out to prove the worth of the carrier.=20
During the Battle of Midway, the flight deck is badly damaged by Japanese=20
torpedo planes, and they are forced to abandon ship. Afterward, Scott is=20
made a Captain and travels to Washington to plead for more carriers.=20
Eventually a carrier fleet is produced, and Scott is placed in charge of=20
one of the ships. During the Battle of Okinawa, the fleet proves its worth,=
=20
and four years after the end of the war, Scott retires and joins Mary, who=
=20
is waiting for him on the dock.
Note: Delmer Daves's onscreen credit reads: "Written and directed by." The=
=20
film ends with the following written acknowledgment: "To the United States=
=20
Navy for its aid and cooperation in making this picture possible our=20
grateful thanks." A press release indicates that Warner Bros. had begun to=
=20
work on the idea for this film as early as May 1945. According to a news=20
item in 29 Jun 1948 LAT, Robert Montgomery was to star in the film. The=20
item adds that the studio had obtained Technicolor shots of the last six=20
months of the Pacific war.

A 17 Oct 1948 NYT article reports that director Delmer Daves and producer=
=20
Jerry Wald found original 1bc29df.jpgblack and 1bc2a0e.jpgwhite footage of=
=20
the Langley, shot in 1923 at the silent speed of 16 frames per second.=20
Similar footage was discovered of the Saratoga, an intermediate stage in=20
the development of the aircraft carrier. By optical processes the old film=
=20
was adjusted to the sound speed of 24 frames per second. In order to=20
incorporate this footage, Wald decided to shoot the first half of the film=
=20
in 1bc2a4c.jpgblack and 1bc2a7b.jpgwhite and switch to 1bc2ab9.jpgcolor=20
with the scenes of the Enterprise at Pearl Harbor. World War II footage=20
includes shots of the Battle of Midway, the Japanese attack on the Yorktown=
=20
and kamikaze damage to the Franklin. The article also names Patricia Neal=20
as a member of the cast, but she did not appear in the completed film.

At 02:00 PM 9/27/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Help! I have a patron looking for a World War II entertainment film he
>thinks he saw in the theater in the 1950's. The film is in both black
>and white and color. It is about a fleet in the Pacific. He remembers
>it being in black and white when the fleet is losing but it switches to
>color after the fleet regroups and heads out to a winning encounter.
>The patron said the music "Fountains of Rome" by Respighi plays as the
>fleet regroups and the film changes to color.
>
>Does anyone have an idea what this film might be?
>
>Renee Zurn
>Duluth Public Library
>Duluth MN

UC Berkeley