[Videolib] issues in academic media collection development

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:39:22 -0500

We do something similar to what Earlham does, being another small, liberal
arts college as they are. For video purchases, we have a "set" dollar
amount per course, per semester. If a professor's requests would go beyond
that amount, the limit serves as a "wait a second" trigger. [In other
words, to borrow from Jack Sparrow, "They're more like guidelines."] There
are ways around the limit, such as finding another prof or course who/which
would also use the film & sharing the expense or having the department chip
in some funds.

If one were to multiply the number of courses by the dollar amount limit,
it would far exceed the budget, but since many, many profs don't request
videos at all, this seems to work well. Depending upon the year, it also
tends to allow for a cushion of about 10-20% of the budget that goes
unclaimed for specific courses and which we library folks use for things we
believe would build the collection.

Susan Albrecht

At 12:36 PM 9/23/2004 -0700, you wrote:

>On Thursday, September 23, 2004, at 09:55 AM, Maureen Tripp wrote:
>
>>This is related to our recent discussion of collection development
>>assessment . . . do other academic media centers allocate their budget
>>among different departments--for example, are you asked to spend a
>>certain amount on, say, requests from faculty from the visual and media
>>department, a certain amount on faculty requests from communication,
>>etc? Do you need to get department chairpersons to approve requests made
>>by individual faculty? I'd be very interested in how you make your decisions.
>>
>>I have been able to pretty much fill all requests up to this year, but
>>now demand has outstripped our budget, and I am being asked to come up
>>with a fair way of dividing our resources among the different academic
>>departments.
>>Thanks for any ideas!

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Coordinator