[Videolib] issues in academic media collection development

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:36:17 -0700

We allocate the media budget based on fourth-week enrollment figures,
at the school level rather than department. The school dean divides
media requests into 'buy now', 'buy if funds become available' and
'don't buy' (can't remember the last time anyone used that).

There is some fine tuning; some schools never go through their
allotment, some always go over, so if one area has extra money and
someone else needs it, we do what makes sense. Nobody has complained so
far.

There's also a smaller amount kept out for replacements and late items
- say something that comes out in April that I know the faculty will
want.

Hope this helps.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center