[Videolib] issues in academic media collection development

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:37:35 -0500

We allocate each department a dollar amount based on their FTE credits.
Departments are allowed to spend up to 25% of that amount on non-print
media.

I also have a separate video budget that I can use to purchase titles at
my discretion. Officially, my priorities are for multi-disciplinary
and/or general interest titles. Ultimately, I end up buying for many
different areas and the "multi-disciplinary" is broadly interpreted.
When I receive a faculty request, I look at factors such as how much
money their department is allocated, if they want it for class reserve,
and/or who their assigned librarian is...
I try to fill faculty requests, while also adding titles that I perceive
as being needed in the collection.

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato
(507) 389-5945

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Maureen
Tripp
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 11:55 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] issues in academic media collection development

This is related to our recent discussion of collection development
assessment . . . do other academic media centers allocate their budget
among different departments--for example, are you asked to spend a
certain amount on, say, requests from faculty from the visual and media
department, a certain amount on faculty requests from communication,
etc? Do you need to get department chairpersons to approve requests
made by individual faculty? I'd be very interested in how you make your
decisions.

I have been able to pretty much fill all requests up to this year, but
now demand has outstripped our budget, and I am being asked to come up
with a fair way of dividing our resources among the different academic
departments.
Thanks for any ideas!