[Videolib] Public performance rights question

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:49:25 -0500

Jed wrote:

>[Marc's] example exhibits the prejudice I am concerned with in that you assume
>the t-shirt is not a political, artistic statement but simply a rip off. I
>think we should assume it is protected free speech (art, business, pursuit
>of happiness, etc.) unless and until Disney proves other wise. That is all
>it would take to level the playing field between new/future users/creators
>and owners of existing creations.

Wait a minute. Have I understood you correctly? Marc's example wasn't
just a person who used Mickey on a T-shirt he himself simply intended to
wear. It was that someone wanted to use Mickey on T-shirts and SELL
them. You see that as a freedom of speech issue?
Hey, if *I'd* designed a cartoon character that people were using on shirts
& selling w/o giving me a red cent, I'd not see it as a "free speech"
issue. I *would* see it as stealing my design and ripping me off.

And I know some folks here are sick of talking about this topic, so delete
at will. But I'm really interested in understanding what the views are out
there.

Susan Albrecht

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Coordinator