[Videolib] Public performance rights question

Syp, Marc P. (MSyp@SLPL.LIB.MO.US)
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:49:14 -0500

Here's the thing. Copyright laws are routinely ignored and/or
misinterpreted. There are free film screenings all over the country, for
which exhibitors are not paying performance rights. So while it can be
argued that copyright law is overly restrictive, one has to take into
account that there is leeway inherent to the system. I am not advocating a
"turn a blind eye" kind of attitude, particularly in an institutional
setting, but one has to recognize that this is not a totalitarian state. If
that were the case, these copyright infringements would not be so prevalent.

The fact that it is essentially the responsibility of the creator to monitor
the use of their own work in the public domain is perhaps troubling, in that
surely there are abuses going unchecked, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it
personally. I've always felt that copyright laws, while expansive in
nature, are mostly in place to prevent flagrant appropriations of material
for profit, and when those situations arise, it's pretty obvious. The side
effect is that large corporations with a "long arm", as it were, have more
control over their product. But really, why should I be able to use Mickey
Mouse to sell t-shirts (unless it's a parody)? I didn't create him and I
would just be a freeloader, a bootlegger, to co-opt Mickey, having done
nothing to contribute to the creation of one of the most recognizable
characters in the world...

Also, Jed, I think it is disingenuous to infer that copyright law in some
way makes us ask permission for everything we do, reducing us to mindless
automatons. On the other hand, it could be argued the copyright laws promote
creativity and originality, in that one is not allowed to simply duplicate
or utilize other people's creative works for profit. Make it yourself and
you might be rewarded!

Thanks,
Marc Syp
Supervisor, Film Library