[Videolib] DVD's 2, etc.

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:12:35 -0700

Well, I think Dennis might be a tad pessimistic. VHS was introduced to
home markets in 1977 or so...that's a 30 some-odd life-span--noooot
bad. It may be that there's a speed-up factor with media technology
lifespans, still... It's somewhat unlikely that the NEXT BIG THING will be
artifactually-based media (a tape, a disc, a gizmo). The seemingly obvious
NBT is V.O.D. (that's video on demand)...but there are enormous roadblocks,
as we all know.

gary

At 09:30 AM 9/22/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>"DVD will probably last only five more years and then the next technology
>will have even more problems of conversion."
>
>Dennis Doros
>Milestone Film & Video
>
>This inconspicuous line buried in Dennis' comments particularly deserves
>some reflection. Many of us are in the process--and financial binds--of
>converting over our educational collections of VHS to DVD as titles come
>out on DVD. Is it truly only 5 more years of life for the much vaunted
>DVD? It may take us 5 years to completely convert to DVD!
> Can I just wait out DVD and skip to the next technology please? Will
> that be dial-up?
> In the meantime, we hang on to our 16mm films and projectors for the
> big comeback. (Wish I'd kept those filmstrips.)
>
>Thank you,
>T. Nicholas
>Statewide Media Resources
>Virginia Museum of Fine Arts