[Videolib] Public performance rights question

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:28:37 -0400

Awwwww....we'd miss all the fun!!!

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Pam Bruce
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 3:53 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Public performance rights question

Rather than go on and on and on and now turn it political on this list,
why don't one of you just call the other one on the phone and argue it?

"we can pass legislation requiring their compliance." Who was it the
other day who was worried about a totalitarian state?

Bryan: Not me. ; )

Also, Bryan, I DON'T believe the claim was ever that archives *can't* do
this kind of work nor that they *should* remain not properly funded;
it's more that they *are* not properly funded. I would love to know how
you envision these funds being procured? In a time when the current
administration feels the need to divert $3billion+ from Iraqi
infrastructure rebuilding to shoring up security there [apparently we
can't afford to do both], in a time when federally-mandated No Child
Left Behind is underfunded by $9.5 - $32 billion [depending upon whose
study you look at], in a time when many state budgets are in the red,
how can we expect there to be an outpouring of support for funding
archives & film preservation via the public sector?

This is the kind of discussion that needs to be raised; not by us in
this small, small corner of the ether, but in the larger community we
live in. We librarians and archivists are charged with raising the
awareness of our populace to the benefits (and costs, to be sure) of
preservation. Just think how far to this end that $3 billion would have
gone in the hands of the LoC . . .

--

Pamela Bruce Media Services Carleton College

---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/pipermail/videolib/attachments/90d01223/attachment.htm