[Videolib] Public performance rights question

jed horovitz (jedh@internetvideoarchive.com)
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:26:40 -0400

and it has: Lawsuit Seeks More Public Domain Works for Internet Archive

San Francisco -- An Internet archivist and film collector have filed a
lawsuit hoping to change copyright laws so that "orphaned" copyrighted
works, or works that are out of print and not commercially viable but
still protected by copyright, would be moved to the "public domain,"
where they could be used freely, Wired News reported. Internet Archive
founder Brewster Kahle and film collector Rick Prelinger filed the suit
-- Kahle v. Ashcroft -- in March; since then the government has filed a
motion to dismiss, and the plaintiffs an opposition to that motion. The
plaintiffs want to digitize orphaned copyright works such as films to
add to a free online library. "Because of the indiscriminate nature of
copyright today, the burden of copyright regulation extends to work
whether or not the original author has any need for continuing
protection," the Kahle lawsuit reads. "That unnecessary burden blocks
the cultivation of our culture and the spread of knowledge." The U.S.
District Court for the Northern District of California will hear
arguments on Oct. 29.
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,64494,00.html
http://www.archive.org <http://www.archive.org/>