[Videolib] Public performance rights question

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:19:18 -0500

At 09:04 AM 9/21/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>I see. So you disagree that archives are able to preserve filmic elements
>as well as commercial entities? Or that no production company could be
>compelled to create an archival deposit negative and print positive or two
>with the proper authority? Or that just because archives are not now
>properly funded that they should remain so forever? I believe that these
>are issues that can be resolved to the benefit of all concerned. I know
>that some movies don't recoup their costs. So what? That doesn't prevent
>the archived original elements from continuing to exist. And the market
>(which seems to be a concern of yours) will take care of those "crappy 5th
>generation material[s]"; if there is no demand for them, no one will
>bother creating them. Just because production companies didn't take care
>of their prints/negatives in the past doesn't mean they will continue to
>do so. If these people truly cared about the art of the medium, they would
>be happy to donate original elements for posterity, but even if they
>didn't care, we can pass legislation requiring their compliance. The LOC
>and UCLA may laugh or cry, but I bet they would also be first in line to
>accept revenue to expand their operating budgets.
>You speak of incentives and profits as if those are the only reasons films
>are made. I say that's pretty narrow minded, and that's the nicest thing I
>can say.

"we can pass legislation requiring their compliance." Who was it the
other day who was worried about a totalitarian state?

Also, Bryan, I DON'T believe the claim was ever that archives *can't* do
this kind of work nor that they *should* remain not properly funded; it's
more that they *are* not properly funded. I would love to know how you
envision these funds being procured? In a time when the current
administration feels the need to divert $3billion+ from Iraqi
infrastructure rebuilding to shoring up security there [apparently we can't
afford to do both], in a time when federally-mandated No Child Left Behind
is underfunded by $9.5 - $32 billion [depending upon whose study you look
at], in a time when many state budgets are in the red, how can we expect
there to be an outpouring of support for funding archives & film
preservation via the public sector?

Susan, who promises to stop now, too.

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Coordinator