[Videolib] Public performance rights question

Griest, Bryan (BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us)
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:04:41 -0700

I see. So you disagree that archives are able to preserve filmic elements as
well as commercial entities? Or that no production company could be
compelled to create an archival deposit negative and print positive or two
with the proper authority? Or that just because archives are not now
properly funded that they should remain so forever? I believe that these are
issues that can be resolved to the benefit of all concerned. I know that
some movies don't recoup their costs. So what? That doesn't prevent the
archived original elements from continuing to exist. And the market (which
seems to be a concern of yours) will take care of those "crappy 5th
generation material[s]"; if there is no demand for them, no one will bother
creating them. Just because production companies didn't take care of their
prints/negatives in the past doesn't mean they will continue to do so. If
these people truly cared about the art of the medium, they would be happy to
donate original elements for posterity, but even if they didn't care, we can
pass legislation requiring their compliance. The LOC and UCLA may laugh or
cry, but I bet they would also be first in line to accept revenue to expand
their operating budgets.
You speak of incentives and profits as if those are the only reasons films
are made. I say that's pretty narrow minded, and that's the nicest thing I
can say.