[Videolib] Question on Site license agreement - ABC News

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:37:58 -0500

At 03:09 PM 9/17/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Ok. We agree it is a monopoly. I totaly disagree that copyright is a
>natural right that accrues to someone who creates something just because
>they created it. It is a right granted by the society via the government
>and comes with restrictions that I don't think are nearly strong
>enough. I think it is under regulated and over used for anti-competitive
>ends that do not foster progress in the arts and sciences. I also think
>that the market does not work to control the price fairly. Just see
>Gary's and Susan's posts on the non fungibility of titles. You can't have
>your cake and eat it too....unless it is copyrighted I guess. Jed

With all due respect, Jed, I wasn't even talking about controlling
price. I was talking about availability of specific content.

And again, with all due respect, you ARE entitled to your opinion that the
current system re: copyright sucks. But it IS the system, and since often
your answers (based upon your personal opinion) come in response to a list
member's question about what's appropriate or legal behavior, it is
frustrating. People are typically looking for *clarification,* and to have
opinions about how it should be or what we must fight for put forth in
response often doesn't help the person deal with the here & now.

In my (often not) humble opinion.
Susan Albrecht

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Coordinator