[Videolib] Question on Site license agreement - ABC News video

Jed Horovitz (JedH@internetvideoarchive.com)
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:09:21 -0400

Re: [Videolib] Question on Site license agreement - ABC News videoOk. We
agree it is a monopoly. I totaly disagree that copyright is a natural right
that accrues to someone who creates something just because they created it.
It is a right granted by the society via the government and comes with
restrictions that I don't think are nearly strong enough. I think it is
under regulated and over used for anti-competitive ends that do not foster
progress in the arts and sciences. I also think that the market does not
work to control the price fairly. Just see Gary's and Susan's posts on the
non fungibility of titles. You can't have your cake and eat it
too....unless it is copyrighted I guess. Jed
-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 1:30 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Question on Site license agreement - ABC News
video

Ok I should NOT fall for this but one last response
OF COURSE COPYRIGHT IS A MONOPLY , people who create ( or pay others to
create)
a UNIQUE piece of work ARE THE OWNERS of this work. We can argue whether
95 years
is an unfair amount of time to protect Mickey Mouse but if a person
writes a book, or a company makes a film IT IS THEIRS. They can charge what
they want for it and you don't have to buy it or see it if you don't think
the price is fair.
Congratulations Jed you are the first person that every made me side with
Disney
on a copyright question
( No Dennis this DOES not mean I am going to root for the Mets, some
things are
forever)

Jessica
--