[Videolib] Question on Site license agreement - ABC News video

Christopher Lewis (clewis@american.edu)
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:07:29 -0400

Gary, I agree with what you've pointed out about being unable to resist the
burdensome restrictions in some vendors purchase agreements but I think it
doesn't hurt to have Jed's reminder that Disney and ABC seem to be forever
looking for new ways to squeeze the consumer. I know it's old news to some
of us but It may nudge others to educate users about the business
practices of some of these huge faceless distributors. Our more
conscientious users do care about things like corporate greed and can
sometimes be directed to more consumer-friendly vendors.

Chris Lewis
Media Librarian/Humanities Collection Manager
American University Library
202.885.3257
AIM: congolene

If you have no money, be polite.
- Danish proverb

Gary Handman
<ghandman@library
.berkeley.edu> To
Sent by: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
videolib-bounces@ cc
library.berkeley.
edu Subject
RE: [Videolib] Question on Site
license agreement - ABC News video
09/17/2004 11:31
AM

Please respond to
videolib@library.
berkeley.edu

Jed! this is simply not helpful. Buying something from "another more
reasonable company" is in most cases not an option. Effective collection
building in libraries entails acquiring specific materials to meet both
specific and general user needs. Those specific materials are very often
distributed by specific vendors (i.e. vendors that have the exclusive
rights to distribute the particular work). It's all good and well to rage
against IP indignities, but for working librarians, getting on with
business means dealing within the current requirements of copyright and
licensing. I'm all for an idealistic going to the battlements in favor of
broad IP rights for libraries; I'm in favor of pushing copyright envelopes,
as well. On the other hand, if I need an ABC title, I'm damn well gonna do
what it takes to score it for my clients.

Gary