[Videolib] Question on Site license agreement - ABC News video

Jed Horovitz (JedH@internetvideoarchive.com)
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:41:31 -0400

Thanks. Your attitude that works are not fungible in any way is perfect
proof that copyright is a monopoly and should be thus regulated.

On a practicle level (and at a university where you are supporting
professors and researchers) I am sure there are situations where items are
not fungible BUT for the librarian building a collection (as opposed to
filling a request) the option is always there. Not everybody has the same
constraints and for those who don't the only thing that a large corporation
understands is when you vote with your $$$.

[Jed Horovitz]
-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 11:31 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Question on Site license agreement - ABC News video

Jed! this is simply not helpful. Buying something from "another more
reasonable company" is in most cases not an option. Effective collection
building in libraries entails acquiring specific materials to meet both
specific and general user needs. Those specific materials are very often
distributed by specific vendors (i.e. vendors that have the exclusive rights
to distribute the particular work). It's all good and well to rage against
IP indignities, but for working librarians, getting on with business means
dealing within the current requirements of copyright and licensing. I'm all
for an idealistic going to the battlements in favor of broad IP rights for
libraries; I'm in favor of pushing copyright envelopes, as well. On the
other hand, if I need an ABC title, I'm damn well gonna do what it takes to
score it for my clients.

Gary