[Videolib] Question on Site license agreement - ABC News

Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:31:26 -0700

Jed! this is simply not helpful. Buying something from "another more=20
reasonable company" is in most cases not an option. Effective collection=20
building in libraries entails acquiring specific materials to meet both=20
specific and general user needs. Those specific materials are very often=20
distributed by specific vendors (i.e. vendors that have the exclusive=20
rights to distribute the particular work). It's all good and well to rage=
=20
against IP indignities, but for working librarians, getting on with=20
business means dealing within the current requirements of copyright and=20
licensing. I'm all for an idealistic going to the battlements in favor of=
=20
broad IP rights for libraries; I'm in favor of pushing copyright envelopes,=
=20
as well. On the other hand, if I need an ABC title, I'm damn well gonna do=
=20
what it takes to score it for my clients.

Gary

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan=20