[Videolib] Public performance rights question

Jed Horovitz (JedH@internetvideoarchive.com)
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:36:59 -0400

It is a film by film question. You can't assume 'yes' but should not assume
'no' either.
Jed

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Barbara
Rhodes, Media Consultant, Northeast Texas
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 11:56 AM
To: Videolib list
Subject: [Videolib] Public performance rights question

I suspect I know the answer to this question, but I told the librarian who
asked me that I would submit it to the combined copyright expertise on this
list for additional feedback. The public library in question has a patron
who has offered to show 16mm film "classics" from his personal collection at
the library and conduct a film discussion group. The librarian does not
know what the exact origins of this collection are and has no idea if any
public performance copyright fees were paid on the material. She and I both
think that the collector has bought these from a variety of sources over
time and therefore, probably has no specific PPR permissions. On the other
hand, the materials are in 16mm, a presentation format, so once upon a time
the titles may well have had PPR attached.

My first reaction was to advise her against using the films in the library
meeting room--what do you folks think?

Thanks for you counsel.

Barbara Rhodes
Media Consultant