[Videolib] PAL to VHS

Helen P. Mack (hpm0@lehigh.edu)
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:29:54 -0400

No, I would not allow a professor to translate a book and circulate that
translated copy. BUT, if a book is jointly published in the U.S. and
the U.K. (e.g. Macmillan in the U.K. and St. Martin's in the U.S) and we
if can't get the U.S. edition, we do go to the U.K. for it, because our
patron/requestor wants the content and doesn't really care where we go
to get it. I think my analogy is closer to the VHS/PAL scenario.
Librarians and media people are concerned about copyright, but in a
sense we serve two masters, the other one being the need to satisfy our
patrons. If a professor wants a certain video, that's what he wants,
not a substitute, and he doesn't wait until the rights are sold for a
particular format or a particular part of the world. Just my opinion.

--
Helen P. Mack, Acquisitions Librarian
Lehigh University Library

Phone 610 758-3035 * Fax 610 758-5605 E-mail hpm0@lehigh.edu