[Videolib] Results of FRIF experimental offer to PLs...

Jonathan Miller (jmiller@frif.com)
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:38:33 -0400

Dear Videlib subscribers

Some of you may remember my test/ experimental offer of two weeks ago to=20
Public Libraries (see below). I wrote at the time that I would report back=
=20
with the results. I am not a statistician, and I realize I am also missing=
=20
one crucial bit of information to put these results in some context: I do=20
not know how many public libraries and librarians are on this list - Gary,=
=20
any idea?

But here is a summary: we received orders from eleven (11) libraries=20
including system and one state library.

The unit prices ranged from $19.95 to $125 (tops).

One large system took advantage of my offer to order a large # of tapes of=
=20
two titles (at the lowest price). Several other libraries ordered modest=20
#s. Most, though, only ordered one copy even for prices as low as=20
$20. Several of the customers were already customers of ours. Most of the=
=20
smaller PL's that took up the offer were not.

I attach an Excel spreadsheet with a listing of all sales made, # of titles=
=20
sold, # of units sold, prices offered by each library, averages etc as well=
=20
as a few notes from me about the customer's history with us.

Actual names/institutions are omitted.

I will be happy to answer questions and consider this further, welcome=20
other's thoughts of what we can learn from this, if anything!

Best for now

Sincerely,

Jonathan Miller

>Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:26:02 -0400
>To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu, fsandner@rcls.org
>From: Jonathan Miller <jmiller@frif.com>
>Subject: Re: [Videolib] New Releases from the Cinema Guild -Middle
> Eastern Studies
>Sender: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
>
>Dear Fred,
>
>Maybe. Let's test your theory!
>
>I am prepared to make a special offer to every public library on this=20
>list: You can set your own price - but it should be the best price you=20
>would be prepared to pay normally, and let's see what the price (and=20
>demand for these films) is that you are talking about!
>
>As a test. (Ok - it has to be at least $10 for the tape, and $10 to cover=
=20
>shipping and handling),
>
>And everyone can have ONE WEEK (till the close of business next Friday) to=
=20
>come thru.
>
>And you can choose from these, the most popular of our recent Middle East=
=20
>related films:
>
>AL JAZEERA: http://frif.com/new2003/jaz.html
>THE BOMBING: http://frif.com/new2000/bomb.html
>GENERATION X SADDAM: http://frif.com/new2003/genx.html
>THE JUNCTION: http://frif.com/new2004/jun.html
>TWENTY YEARS OLD IN THE MIDDLE EAST: http://frif.com/new2003/twen.html
>
>If you order one or more of them online make a note about this special=20
>test offer and what you are prepared to pay in the "Special=20
>Instructions/Comments" section of the order form, and we will adjust the=20
>price when invoicing / charging you, to what the best price is you say you=
=20
>are willing to pay for the title.
>
>I will report back on what the results are!
>
>Best
>
>Jonathan Miller
>President
>First Run/Icarus Films
>

>PS sorry, public libraries only!
>

>Mr At 07:34 PM 8/26/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>

>>Great films! I would probably order "Different Drummer" for our=20
>>Jewish/Israel/Palestinian collection, but even though we're a=20
>>medium-sized public library, we just casn't afford $275 for one title.=20
>>Public libraries are not just interested in pop movie fare - they often=20
>>have special collections or concentrations - but the prices of=20
>>documentaries are prohibitive. My theory has been: cut the price=20
>>significantly and the difference will be made up in sales.

Jonathan Miller, President
First Run/Icarus Films, Inc.
32 Court Street, 21st Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201 USA