[Videolib] Direct Cinema -- Home Video

Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:45:04 -0700

All,

I have had this same problem with our ordering department. They were (and I
think continue) to order the public performance rights (or the "educational
performance rights") for videos if they are available. My problem with this
is 1) it is unnecessary (as others have noted) and 2) even when we do
purchase the public performance rights, we do not keep track of for which
videos we own them and for which we don't. In the event that we wanted to
have a public performance of something we own (or a professor wanted to show
something as part of a film festival or other showing that was not
exclusively part of a course) we would have no easy way of knowing if we
actually owned the rights or not.

Has anyone tackled this issue? I asked our tech services people to look
into how we could make a note in the record somehow to indicate if we owned
the rights, but they have not responded.

mb

Michael Brewer
German & Slavic Studies and Media Arts Librarian
University of Arizona Library, A210
1510 E. University
P.O. Box 210055
Tucson, AZ 85721-0055