[Videolib] Direct Cinema -- Home Video

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:38:35 -0500

I understand your need to rant, Myles. I've had similar conversations with
distributors, and we here at Videolib have discussed tiered pricing
before. The gist of it, IIRC, is that while we may hate it,
producers/distributors have the right to set tiered pricing. What they
DON'T have the right to do is to tell public or academic libraries that
they must LEGALLY have PPR. I agree with you that they are mixing issues!

I wouldn't lose any sleep over purchasing these as home video copies and
then donating them *because* the explanation you were given for the pricing
difference was that you need PPR, NOT that you are a public library.

My $0.02
Susan at Wabash College

At 01:07 PM 9/7/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Recently I submitted an order for some titles from Direct Cinema that they
>offer as home videos. I received back a letter that says
>
>We are retuning the following purchase orders for incorrect pricing. On
>them, you have listed home video prices that do not have Public
>Performance Licensing for use in educational institutions. U.S. Copyright
>laws require that public libraries provide this licensing as your
>materials are available for use by schools, universities and other
>organizations.
>
>To me this second sentence is just plain wrong.
>
>I called them and had a few words with the person that answered. Later I
>said that I will personally purchase these (home video only) and then
>donate them. She told me that would be unethical.
>
>I say tiered pricing is unethical, for universities, PL, or otherwise.
>
>End of rant.
>
>Best,
>Myles

Susan Albrecht