=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:=20[Videolib]=20Direct=20Cinema=20--=A0=20Home?=

MileFilms@aol.com
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:59:14 EDT

In a message dated 9/7/04 2:31:08 PM, mjaesch@tulsalibrary.org writes:
Recently I submitted an order for some titles from Direct Cinema that they=20
offer as home videos.=C2=A0=C2=A0 I received back a letter that says
> =E2=80=9CWe are retuning the following purchase orders for incorrect pric=
ing.=C2=A0 On=20
> them, you have listed home video prices that do not have Public Performanc=
e=20
> Licensing for use in educational institutions.=C2=A0 U.S. Copyright laws r=
equire=20
> that public libraries provide this licensing as your materials are availab=
le=20
> for use by schools, universities and other organizations.=E2=80=9D
> To me this second sentence is just plain wrong.=C2=A0
> I called them and had a few words with the person that answered.=C2=A0 La=
ter I=20
> said that I will personally purchase these (home video only) and then =E2=
=80=9Cdonate=E2=80=9D
> them.=C2=A0 She told me that would be unethical.
> I say tiered pricing is unethical, for universities, PL, or otherwise.
>=20
Dear Myles,

I happen to 100% agree! (Ha! Surprised you!) Also, US Copyright Laws do not=20
require this so they're "mis-stating the truth" as well -- PPR and education=
al=20
use are specifically two distinct definitions in Title 17. If I were you, I=20
would call Mitch Block at Direct and personally tell him what you think.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640