[Videolib] Direct Cinema -- Home Video

Jaeschke, Myles (mjaesch@tulsalibrary.org)
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:43:52 -0500

Third sentence, sorry. =20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu =
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Jaeschke, =
Myles
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 1:07 PM
To: Videolib@Library. Berkeley. Edu (E-mail)
Subject: [Videolib] Direct Cinema -- Home Video
=20
Hello all,
Recently I submitted an order for some titles from Direct Cinema that =
they offer as home videos. I received back a letter that says
"We are retuning the following purchase orders for incorrect pricing. =
On them, you have listed home video prices that do not have Public =
Performance Licensing for use in educational institutions. U.S. =
Copyright laws require that public libraries provide this licensing as =
your materials are available for use by schools, universities and other =
organizations."
To me this second sentence is just plain wrong. =20
I called them and had a few words with the person that answered. Later =
I said that I will personally purchase these (home video only) and then =
"donate" them. She told me that would be unethical.
I say tiered pricing is unethical, for universities, PL, or otherwise.=20
End of rant.
Best,
Myles=20
=20