[Videolib] New Releases from...special offers to public libra

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:03:16 -0500

Another aspect of ordering videos is that many public libraries are
restricted in the number of places they can order from. Some librarians
find it very difficult to send through an order to a direct producer or
distributor due to directives from their administration, or whatever
municiple governing body they are under. Ordering direct for them is not
an option. And for many of the documentaries that we are talking about
here, many are only available direct. I am very fortunate where I work that
I can justify ordering direct if necessary. On the other hand, I also work
very hard to find major distributors or vendors that carry the titles that I
want, so that I order from as few places as possible.

Becky

-----Original Message-----
From: www.richardcohenfilms.com [mailto:rbc24@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2004 11:37 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] New Releases from...special offers to public
libraries

It is great to see this dialogue taking place, and amazing to see an offer
like Jonathan's along with a response like Becky's. I've always thought
public libraries are one of the best places for social documentaries. You
provide free access to the communities for our work, and the money that the
libraries spend on independent documentaries, generally goes into the making
of more films. In the spirit of this exchange, and to increase my sales, I
too am going to make an offer to public libraries.

A few years ago I offered "Taylor's Campaign" (called "best film on
homelessness and poverty in this era" in Teaching Sociology, "excellent" in
the LA Times, and "highly recommended" in Library Journal) for $12 to public
libraries and received very few purchases at that price (more at the regular
price of $49). It was a discouraging experience reminding me of a story
that another independent filmmaker shared with me. After winning an academy
award he thought, This is it I can get my film into the public libraries.
He invested a lot of money in promotion and lost a lot of money. His advice
to me was to bypass the public libraries. Instead, I did a few mailings,
and tried unsuccessfully to get a grant to give that highly praised tape
away.

Fortunately, my next film, "Going To School-Ir a la Escuela" on inclusion
and special education was selected by National Video Resources and 300
copies were recently offered to libraries for free as part of their human
rights video project.

The four feature documentaries that I made and distribute are: Going To
School-Ir a la Escuela, Hurry Tomorrow, Deadly Force and Taylor's Campaign.
You can check them out at my website: http//www.richardcohenfilms.com

As I said, In the spirit of this exchange and to increase my sales, I'm
offering the four tape set to public libraries for $109.(includes shipping).
Also, I will spread the word that the films are available at your libraries
so that people in your neighborhoods will know where to check them out. The
offer is good as long as it works.

Tatar, Becky wrote:

Hi, Jonathan!

Since I have stated the same thing as Fred, now is the time to put my money

where my mouth is, so to speak. I have sent your post to our AV ordering

person, and you should get it next week. Now, I don't anticipate a monster

circ for these titles, but I do think that given what's happening in the

world, we need to have films like this in the collection. But even though I

have a sizable film budget overall, my budget for World History is $1000.

And my budget for Social Issues is $600. Purchasing your 5 films at $350

each would put me over the top for those two areas!. Plus, and I know this

shouldn't be a factor, but I just can't face telling a patron that since

their tape player ate the tape, they have to pony up the $350 to replace it.

That's more than their player probably cost. I hope a lot of us public

librarians take you up on your offer!

Becky Tatar

Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual

Aurora Public Library