[Videolib] Pedal Magic eVideo

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:14:16 -0500

Definitely bizarre, but probably not so far out as far as what people want
to do. However, since library purchases are under the First Sale doctrine,
etc. (learned yesterday in our quickie Library Law workshop!). Also, isn't
this why that one DVD format died - play for 2 days, then it died? It seems
to me I remember Kristine B. doing a paper/presentation on that when DVDs
first came out. If it doesn't work for patrons, it won't stick around.
Just my 2 cents.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
PHONE: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
www.aurora.lib.il.us
E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaeschke, Myles [mailto:mjaesch@tulsalibrary.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 5:06 PM
To: Videolib@Library. Berkeley. Edu (E-mail)
Subject: [Videolib] Pedal Magic eVideo

Hi all,

I have had the most bizarre emails back and forth with a guy selling a video
on how to ride a bike. He is selling the video only as a Digital Rights
Management CD.

However, he thinks that our patrons should checkout the CD from us and then
pay his company a fee for a license to "unlock" the disc for use.

Below is the conversion I had with him via email. Is it just me or is he
completely off his rocker. I understand protecting your property but this
is crazy.

Take Care,
Myles
Tulsa City-County Library
Film Librarian

It is unfortunate for your patrons that you don't get the point. You will,
of course, be seeing more such digital rights management in the future by
content providers, not less.

We are a for-profit company.

Take care. --Reginald