[Videolib] Tee Vee in Academia

Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:43:25 -0700

There's an interesting (and disturbing) set of trends and implications in
this thread, I think.

Institutions in which faculty do most or all of the media recommendation
and selection (either by requesting reserve materials or by recommending
additions to broader core collections) are probably stuck with that
unfortunate model. I can't for the life of me see why some libraries allow
faculty to take the upper hand in media selection, when they wouldn't even
vaguely think about doing the same for books. Be that as it may...

Libraries which (as they well should) put selection of media in the hands
of selectors--either format or subject selections-- are another matter. It
seems to me that the tension between "just in time" collecting (i.e. in
response to explicitly articulated faculty need, specific course needs,
etc.) and "just in case" collecting (i.e. collecting that is responsive to
broader, longer-term, and often less immediately or specifically identified
needs) will continue to continue... It's a tough balancing act,
particularly in these days of bad budget craziness.

Collecting television falls somewhere into this push/pull, it seems to
me. Buying only those titles recommended by faculty or those needed for a
specific class neglects the fact that television has completely transformed
global culture and is going to continue being the focus of intense study
across disciplines for a long time to come. It may seem downright silly to
be collecting Buffy as serious grist for study--but, I assure you, it's
not. These programs MEAN something culturally. Like film, they're
increasingly important primary texts. Would we build print collections of
primary resources in such a haphazard (and timorous) manner. I think not.
The fact that tv programs are wildly popular as entertainment shouldn't
overshadow the fact that they're appropriate fare for research-level
collections. Twenty years from now, when they're handing out endowed chair
positions in Xena Studies, don't say I didn't tell you so...

have a cool weekend...

gary

UC Berkeley

****