[Videolib] Tee Vee in Academia

Stephen O'Riordan (soriordan@ucsd.edu)
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:13:58 -0700

At UC San Diego, TV program purchases are driven by the Comm Dept (theory)
& some general interest (missed seasons of Sopranos...etc) requests. Not
much network stuff, but a lot of HBO material. I pick up what I think might
be of use on this campus, but like Gary, flying blind.

Stephen

At 05:09 PM 8/26/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>...and just to broaden this discussion:
>
>How many academic types out there are venturing into the vast
>wasteland? As I think I mentioned awhile back, I've amassed a fair amount
>of programming over the past couple of years, but it always seems like a
>crap shoot. I've tried to move along genre lines, along cultural
>construction of race, gender, ethnicity lines, etc...but it's a tough go
>compared to feature film. How many seasons of Sex and the City to
>get? Which cop shows will stand as parts of the TV canon? (TV
>what?). I've taken some lead from mass comm and gender studies faculty
>(film faculty could care less!), but otherwise, I'm flying pretty
>blind. There's no doubt in my mind that buying this stuff is
>important--like film, TV has become grist for study across the
>disciplinary board. Still...
>
>Colleagues in academe...whaddaya say?
>
>Gary
>

>Gary Handman
>Director
>Media Resources Center
>Moffitt Library
>UC Berkeley
>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
>****
>
>"Movies are poems, a holy bible, the great mother of us."
> --Ted Berrigan

Stephen 0'Riordan
UCSD Libraries / Film & Video Library
9500 Gilman dr