[Videolib] Tee Vee in Academia

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:30:00 -0500

At 05:09 PM 8/26/2004 -0700, Gary wrote:
>...and just to broaden this discussion:
>
>How many academic types out there are venturing into the vast
>wasteland? As I think I mentioned awhile back, I've amassed a fair amount
>of programming over the past couple of years, but it always seems like a
>crap shoot. I've tried to move along genre lines, along cultural
>construction of race, gender, ethnicity lines, etc...but it's a tough go
>compared to feature film. How many seasons of Sex and the City to
>get? Which cop shows will stand as parts of the TV canon? (TV
>what?). I've taken some lead from mass comm and gender studies faculty
>(film faculty could care less!), but otherwise, I'm flying pretty
>blind. There's no doubt in my mind that buying this stuff is
>important--like film, TV has become grist for study across the
>disciplinary board. Still...
>
>Colleagues in academe...whaddaya say?

Well, we're an itty bitty academic institution with a relatively itty bitty
video/DVD collection, but so far we've *not* been purchasing popular TV
series for our collection. We do have some of the "older, classic,
British" series: Upstairs, Downstairs; Monty Python's Flying Circus; The
Singing Detective; the BBC Shakespeare collection. But no Sex and the
City, Friends, Buffy, or anything like that. BUT, since the majority of
our purchases are made based upon specific requests of faculty for their
teaching needs, if one of them decided Sex and the City would fit in with a
course, we'd buy it. Actually, that's how the Monty Python set came to be
purchase--a student's Independent Study project.

I would love to hear what's happening in this area at other academic
institutions.

Susan at Wabash College

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Coordinator