[Videolib] Tee Vee in Academia

Deg Farrelly (DEG.FARRELLY@asu.edu)
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:30:50 -0700

Gary -

=20

I agree. We collect SOME of the TV stuff (for example, ONE episode of
"My Living Doll" - which I hate to admit I *remember* being broadcast...
and enjoying at the time... painful to watch now, [except for Julie
Newmar])

=20

But it's the Communications Studies faculty driving the bus of
requesting specific titles mostly.

=20

Now if I could get some of the subject selectors to realize that *
representative * titles of anime series, etc. are adequate.

=20

Deg farrelly

ASU West Library

=20

_____ =20

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 5:10 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Tee Vee in Academia

=20

...and just to broaden this discussion:

How many academic types out there are venturing into the vast wasteland?
As I think I mentioned awhile back, I've amassed a fair amount of
programming over the past couple of years, but it always seems like a
crap shoot. I've tried to move along genre lines, along cultural
construction of race, gender, ethnicity lines, etc...but it's a tough go
compared to feature film. How many seasons of Sex and the City to get?
Which cop shows will stand as parts of the TV canon? (TV what?). I've
taken some lead from mass comm and gender studies faculty (film faculty
could care less!), but otherwise, I'm flying pretty blind. There's no
doubt in my mind that buying this stuff is important--like film, TV has
become grist for study across the disciplinary board. Still...

Colleagues in academe...whaddaya say?

Gary

UC Berkeley

****