[Videolib] Video worth

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:42:21 -0400

Last year, a collector wanted to donate 200 laserdiscs which he maintained
were worth around $100,000. A cursory check on Ebay revealed that the bulk
of his titles were selling for between $5 and $15. It's now the law of
supply and demand but I suppose that 50 years in the future, when perhaps
only one or two functioning laserdisc players exist, laserdiscs will become
curiosities and interesting objects if their covers have good art work/
graphic design, much like those old Edison cylinders you see in antique
shops today. Just like dust jackets are important for the value of older
used books, the condition of video cases will determine the value of the
videos (as well as laserdiscs and DVDs) in the future since they will
basically only have a decorative value.

Oksana