[Videolib] Video worth

Adams, Michael (MAdams@gc.cuny.edu)
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:47:10 -0400

As someone who has converted a large personal VHS collection into an even
larger DVD collection, I have some experience with one aspect of this
matter. In selling off my video cassettes through Amazon, I noticed that
titles are worth more (based on prices set by sellers) if they are not yet
on DVD. And if the VHS is out of print, the price is even higher. So
out-of-print Disney titles are worth something in 2004, but what about five
or ten years from now when VHS/VCR technology is totally antiquated? Will
there be anyone who wants these tapes? I doubt it.

Michael Adams
Mina Rees Library
CUNY Graduate Center
365 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10016
madams@gc.cuny.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Kiersten Allen
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 9:52 AM
To: Video Lib
Subject: [Videolib] Video worth

Good Morning--

I have had several patrons asking me if VHS tapes may be worth something
some day. We get tons of donations as DVDs are sweeping households. Some
want to know if specific titles...Disney movies, for instance....are going
to be worth money some day.

Is it possible? Or are we going to be left with the equivalent to tons of
8-Traks?

Thanks for your input,
Have a great day!

Kiersten Allen, Director